Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I spent the morning cramming as usual my take home final exam for the history of economic thought. I ended up writing quite a bit about Marx -- I finally understand why the labour theory of value was so important in his thesis of labour exploitation. The other questions I answered were about Marshall, JM Keynes. They weren't as interesting, but they were very answerable.

The afternoon, I tried, gave up, and tried again to read my book, The Order of Things: The Archaeology of Knowledge by Michel Foucault. I have to write a paper on this, and it's turning out to be quite a difficult read. It's hard enough to slog through economics and dealing with economists, and their terms. Now I have to deal with the writings and language of this French philosopher. It's a generalization, but French philosopher tend to ramble and ramble before getting the point. One needs a little patience and fortitude to continue reading.

In the evening, I watched Angels in America the miniseries on DVD. I didn't know what to make of it (and still dont know), but I enjoyed it anyway. It's a good series, so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foucault does take ages-look for Rabinow's Foucault Reader-you helps you sort out the fluff and find key passage. There's another focault reader too but I forget the authors. I know we're expected to read through focault properly but it helps to get those intro series or go to websites like www.theory.org.uk where you can even find a Focault action figure hahaha, and get trading cards.

As for that Angel's one-I loved that show. Am starting my own blog but am totally lost as to how to navigate and make pretty pages inspite of reading the help section a million times on this blogger thing.

Anonymous said...

wait that anonymous was me-PREMi

fabian said...

thanks Premi, if I have a little time before submitting my paper I'll look for the Rabinow reader. I actually have made good progress since with Mr. Foucault. Will let you know how my paper turns out.