Monday, December 12, 2005

Maximo Foucault

after planning to watch from Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros, I finally got to watch it in Gateway with Tina. I thought I was doomed to have to catch it via pirated DVD, but I was pleased that Teens came through the last minute with a YM message earlier this morning.

Everyone has made comments about how technically it was limited, and how the story was good. I won't go into that anymore. What I'm going to say though was that I found it pretty obvious that Maxie is played by a straight boy. He wasn't gay enough.

I'll give the film credit in that it didn't overplay the gayness of Maxie (part of the reason that they picked a straight boy to portray the character), but Maxie was still missing a certain playful defiance and self consciousness that characterizes young gay boys. It's pretty essential that the Maxie character will make you relate to his coming-of-age pains. We all have yearned for that someone we couldn't have once upon a time. I wasn't brought into that portal; didn't work for me. It didn't seem real I guess. You know who had the gay sparks? The moreno kid friends of Maxie. Check out the scene: Representing Thailand(seems gay), Venezuela(seems gay), Philippines(seems like a straight boy playing a gay guy)!

Not being gripy here. It's just an honest observation on my reaction. No regrets watching this movie.

* * *

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Other pursuits. Started reading first chapter of Foucault's The history of sexuality. Finally, echoes of what Maita and to a certain extent Bobby have been talking about. Photo taken from amazon.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

say naman HOW you got your Foucalt's History of Sexuality volume 1.

Ayan, I've commented on your blog. Which is kinda silly, since I live with you.

~Mahar

fabian said...

i got the foucault book as a gift from Mahar. Thanks, Mahar. for your good taste, too.