Sunday, September 24, 2006

AFP sky

It was a toss up today between attending a wedding, and going to a hockey tournament. Guess what I chose? My sister gave me the appropriate tsk tsks because, "it's a WEDDING." Well my only regret really is that the one who invited me will find out and will feel sorry about the whole thing. My own rationalization is that I would be hardly missed, and there aren't really any people there that I want to talk to or meet anyway, save one or two perhaps.

On the other hand, I haven't played hockey in several months. And I've never regretted going to a tournament, game or training session. This seemed like a sure thing. Not to mention the fact that I received the 3 guilt SMSes of 'we're counting on you." The two games we played today were sweet. The 30 or so minutes for one game is really too short. They should come up with a 20-5-20 minute game format -- of course, I can imagine that the fitness standards will have to be all the more heightened.

As I said earlier, I haven't played hockey since May, and I can feel my left arm complaining. I hope I'm not in agony tomorrow morning.

And to those of you who don't know me, I'm talking about underwater hockey.

* * *

I've been reading Gandhi's autobiography, and I'm at the part that he's in South Africa and is experiencing discrimination first hand as a 'coolie' or a coloured person. He's beginning to meet some Christians, and start reading Christian texts; what makes interesting reading is when he explains what about Christianity he doesn't agree with. One is the notion that striving for perfection is an impossible task and that Jesus intercession is thus necessary. The other bit has to do with the interpretation of the Bible. I haven't gotten to the full elaboration of these bits so I won't go on further lest I misinterpret what he said ( a real issue he identified before he began the arguably "Western" practice of writing one's autobiography).

I almost forgot to mention that there is a portion of the book where he is unhappy that his love relation with his wife remains lustful, though their love is moving gradually to something more pure. I couldn't help but think, isn't that a good thing? Aren't you supposed to lust after your wife?

I actually can relate to Gandhi in certain levels, especially when he frets about being treated like crap. But I don't share his sexual/love issues though, nor his very strong devotion to his parents.

It's taken me around 3 weeks to read 100 pages. Reading non-business related texts has become a bit of a luxury but I try to keep at it.

5 comments:

moonpool said...

Shame! JK! :D

wysgal said...

You skipped the wedding? Shame shame. =)

I try to do a bit of leisure reading everyday ... even just on the commute to work or 30 minutes before sleeping. And I still have a million unread books ...

fabian said...

mp, wys:

I knew I was gonna get some ribbing. How now nice to finally receive some comments though. I better make my posts all more controversial.

I made a good dent on my Gandhi book today. It's an excellent auto-bio. He's top of mind for me now if you say 'good influence'

as if I didn't have enough blogs, I've put something up at www.vox.com

Bobby said...

i have trouble reading biographies (auto or otherwise)..unless it's really pervy. lol.

why open the vox account?

fabian said...

bob, ok please recommend to me the pervy autobiographies (does foucault have an autobio?)

i just liked the look of vox. and i realized that i just want to see if there are interesting people in that community. so far im not sure