Sunday, May 14, 2006

my so-called suburban life

Have been living, comfortably, in LGV the past two weeks and things are going well. This is fortunate because I am able to temporarily distract myself with whatever dissatisfactions I've been getting in my professional life. Thankfully, we have quickly moved into a civilized existence here. We've got cable, phone lines, and internet. The first few days, I semi-felt (though not regrettably), that I was far away from everything, what compounded by that fact that we are in the further reaches of LGV. That has its own charms, but i digress. Now, that I'm plugged in, things are more comfortable again. :)

Airconditioning and Internet. Very important.

My room is shaping up! All you guys who I've bugged about advice, thanks. The room isn't complete yet, and it 'never will be" (haha). BUT, as Mahar will probably be glad to hear, I have lost the urge to hang-out in my siblings rooms. The minimum livable-ness quotient has been breached, and I could even legitimately claim that there is some sort of atmosphere in the room. Bob's framer did a decent job on this poster, and the color choice of the walls really worked out. Still would like to add other comforts in the room, but won't put that all down here, coz then that'll just be Queenie McBear braggy.

Living in a subdivision is a new thing for me, and, I find myself wondering if some family members realize how they're being sucked into the alternate reality that comes from living in a gated neighborhood (and in a pretty paranoid, though not without reason, gated neighborhood at that). Askals are not allowed/frowned upon here. So I still feel a little pang of guilt that we had to leave our askal dogs back in our old place with the tenants. The names of our dogs were Mommy Dog (coz she's a prolific puppy-bearing dog), and Zorro. Now, we have a mixed retriever that was gifted to Kel. His name is Nash (yes, Phoenix Nash), and he actually now sits when we tell him to. I know, how sub-urbia right. Hilarious. Our manang now speaks to our dog in English. "Come here, Nash!" Oh no, not you too.

We did a very sub-urbianny thing this afternoon. Pop bought bikes. Two bikes on the cheap, bought in Marikina (our backdoor). They look nice enough, but of course would never stand up for a real road test IMHO, much less for a triathlon. But, during early mornings I guess I'll be able to get around the neighborhood with less hassle. Really, this neighborhood is so Pro-Car already it's kinda gross. People can scarcely commute to this place (unlike our old house near Banawe and Quezon Ave.) If you take a cab home, you kinda feel you have to tip big, coz he really is 10 minutes into a neighborhood where his chances of getting a passenger are slim-to-none.

The end of the summer is just gonna speed along. I know it. Ateneo is hosting the Asian Universities Debating Championships. They're gunning for the 5th win in a row. Inside tsismis for debaters: I heard ICU made semis in rival tourney Asians. That's something huh? he he.

My cousins from the US are also coming over, partially to celebrate the 90th birthday of my recently passed Grandmo. It's Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day Grandmo! It's the first holiday I think that we won't be placing a call for her. No kwento about what their ulam and celebration is gonna be. We should play mah-jong (her game).

Drop me a line guys, I miss a lot of you guys. til next entry

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey fabes :) sounds like fun. i'd love to see your room! where'd you get the poster framed? i have posters i want to have mounted, but thinly mounted. hehe why am i talking about this here?

anyway it is kind of unsettling to be in little suburbia, ano? but at least everyone lives in that area, and you can go to the coffeeshops across katipunan. i miss our study/reading/whatever dates. hehe.

anyway i'll be home in a few weeks. can't wait to see you :)