Monday, July 25, 2005

SONA

SONA: a little disappointing, but i didnt expect much.

It is called a State of the Nation, so how was the state stated?

Economic and Social Analysis: Poor.

1. Talking in absolutes is useless. 4 million jobs created. Never mind that official gov't data on employment has not been as credible lately -- why don't you talk about the unemployment rate? Talk about NET jobs created, and the increase in the size of the labor market. Talk about the change in unemployment rate. Guess why it won't be talked about?

2. "Economy poised for take-off." Big big assertion. As an optimist, I actually would agree with this IF, and this is a humongous IF, the fiscal situation is resolved. Recap: Watered-down sin tax law passed, TRO for the EVAT. Prognosis: not good.

3. Mention of government programs . Credibility problems. It's easy to mention programs implemented. Please prove that such programs are not tokenistic and do not have negligible impact in the big picture.

Political Analysis - Non-existent

1. Political structures are flawed. This isn't a hard assertion to buy, but funny how she mentions that present structures still allow for reform and yet later on mentions that the best of the efforts of the politicians may not be enough for this structure.

2. Criticism: Failure to characterize/mention flaws of the present day political system. If reform is proposed, foremost is an explanation of the present day flaws. Closest thing mentioned is the problem of a centralizes bureaucracy. Is this really the biggest problem? Big problems include: 1. A fucked-up Comelec (no mention) 2. Sources of campaign funds that cause the booty-capitalism that is counter-productive. (no mention)

No mention of issues/struggles/concerns about the debate on the Parliamentary system. But then I guess it would be premature to bring this up now.

No mention of current crisis of leadership on her part. I guess I don't expect her to be able to say anything productive on this point, but you know, the state of the nation is very much affected by her issues. Early on, there is an implicit request that we insulate reform activities from this problem. Is that possible? One wishes so.

* * *

* * *

* * *


My bro has the screwy habit of coming into the room to play video games or watch dumb-TV (well 1/2 the time), when I start using the computer. It's irritating coz I realize that I truly get distracted and get diminished enjoyment when there is alternate media beside me. I don't mention it too much though, coz a. well, it's not my room, and b. he'll think that it's more of an issue that I want some privacy when I use the internet for whatever reasons. Well maybe it is, but that's only a small part, really. I wouldn't mind if he was behind me on the bed reading a book.

1 comment:

wonderspeller said...

i thought it was the shortest SONA ever. and in terms of other exciting things that could have happened--nothing did. oh well.