Saturday, February 05, 2005

spent a bit of time with Charlene this week, which meant that I got more than my usual dose of conversations about literature and music. went over to Magallanes last night, how nice to know where that is -- for my own secret reasons --, to watch the Triplets of Belleville. Ok, here's the deal with that movie. It's starts of exonarably slow (". . .now, I know why Nemo kicked it's butt in the Academy Awards. . .").

The musical score is quite good though, and stylistically interesting. French Canadians are behind it. I figure this movie is best watched in a nice den, where you can be languid, and get distracted by pets and other books, and you can then glance up and pick up from where you left off. It's stylistic, it's art. It's a good "in-the-background" film (gasp, blasphemy. but hey it works that way too.)

Caught film shorts of Tim Burton. Frankenweenie, and Vincent. Quite good. Ended the night with more Capuccino Crema (if all coffee tasted like that I'd have 3 cups a day). Charlene booked me for the rest of next week for A Very Long Engagement & Phantom of the Opera.

Have been consuming a lot of film, books, plays lately, relatively speaking. Almost escapist. . .ALMOST, but not.



2 comments:

Cristina said...

Sounds like a busy time! Are you planning on watching A Very Long Engagement then? If so, make sure you post a review or something. A few days ago I got the book, which I'm looking forward to reading but will have to wait.

Haven't watched the Triplets of Belleville but I know someone who loves it and I'm hoping they'll show it on TV soon :)

Which books are you reading at the moment then?

fabian said...

Cristina,

I just finished J.M. Coetzee's Elizabeth Costello (good read), and I'm beginning Mario Vargas Llosa's The Way To Paradise.

Before bed, to clear my head, I sometimes read The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. I got it for Xmas; it's hilarious in a creepy sort of way.

Otherwise, I read Economics textbooks/blogs/news ;)

If I have strong opinions about A Very Long Engagement I'll post a review.

Hope you have a good week ahead!