Friday, February 25, 2005

just a little hiccup this morning 'coz my data analysis software (SPSS) expired. something wrong with the license code i got in Ateneo. remedied it by switching gears and using STATA instead. that worked out, and the program actually seems superior, for my needs.

so this afternoon, i've been 'mucking around' with the data. this is where the art side of economics is supposed to happen. you got a whole pile of variables (im dealing with around fifteen), and from doing all these runs you're supposed to find a well-specified model lurking around somewhere. well, it's also partially voodoo magic if you're preparing a paper that isn't so much for publication as it is for a requirement. i'd like to think that i'm still more of the former mindset. . .im not getting drained by this. not yet.

I finished the Provence book, and in record time too, 'coz i knew that not finishing it would just distract me from this paper. i miss living in a french environment (french, NOT swiss).

4 comments:

Cristina said...

Hmmmm... nosy me, but can I ask where you live now and where you've lived before?

I ask because of the French / Swiss environment you mentioned at the end of your post. That totally sparkled my curiosity :P

fabian said...

nosy? pas du tout!

I grew up and live in Manila, Philippines. After I finished university, I spent a year in Geneva, Switzerland living with my mom, who used to work there.

And you are a Spanish lady who lives in Madrid who speaks remarkable English? :)

Cristina said...

Very international, aren't you? Are you back in Philippines now though?

Erm... I subscribe to your description except for the "speaks remarkable English" bit! :D

fabian said...

Yes, I'm back in the Philippines now. :) I'll be here for the next year or so I think. But afterwards might want to go somewhere else, but never permanently. Home is always here.