Thursday, November 23, 2006

we're always the same age inside, G.S.

How do you write sentences? Can someone answer me that question?

* * *

I got off early from work today. I have some time to write a few things. (Aside: there's nothing like consulting/office work to totally linearize your thinking)

First, I received via e-mail a performance review form. I had never seen one of these babies before, my being new with this office thing and all. It was a good form let me tell you though. I expected some vague and bull-shitty form -- I should have known better coming from a company that trades on business analysis. It segments well all the skills, and traits that they expect from someone who wants to be a kick-ass consultant. There was no way this one could be fudged (at least not without a sizeable amount of lying, padding and crapping all over the place). I momentarily felt a little small that I obviously had a long way to go with some of my technical skill (ability to work with Acess, Excel, BIQ, etc.).

What jolted me back to a balanced outlook was my realization that I don't have any spare time at the office to train myself and improve on these things. One has to learn everything and do crash courses as needed.

This I do not find surprising. My company has a cowboy reputation of making things work. Learning something right the first time is such a premium: learning by doing and quick. One immediately knows who the slow people are at my work place. (does that sound like paradise to some of you)

I have to finish the PR form by Monday, but I'll probably hand in my self-review before the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

* * *

frivolities/perks/delights:

small joy realization #1, realizing that eating cream sauce on pasta doesn't have to be a heavy affair. was at Cibo last night with a friend, and remembered that there's the Cibo/Bellini way of a white sauce, and there's the CPK-heavy style.

realization #2, realizing that a book can excite you on the rack, leave you confused the first forty pages, and then proceed to increasingly delight you as you figure it out. Book in question: Saramago's Double.

realization #3, that sometimes all you want is to listen to old albums from start to finish. Dave Matthews Tim Reynolds: Live at Luther College one of them.

3 comments:

wysgal said...

I was inspired by you so I downloaded the Luther College album (all my DMB albums have disappeared into the same black hole in my house that swallowed my iPod shuffle). Good stuff. So high-school/college. =)

Unknown said...

fabes! i'm back! when are you free to meet up?

hehe live at luther college brings a lot of weird memories. it reminds me of sibol most. eew.

and saramago is an awesome author! i just don't know how to make sense of his use (or lack) of puncutation marks. he might be the best help to de-linearize your thinking.

fabian said...

wys: how highschool/college. ha ha. speaking of which, im reading Kundera's book now, Ignorance, which has a strong nostalgia theme.

unpack: i treat the commas as periods. thats how i manage to read him. he he. delinearizing is i think what happens actually as i read. :)

i can meet up evenings! bug me. or maybe i'll catch up at Bea's this weekend