Sunday, April 02, 2006

Garden of Elmer Gimmick

I told myself that I would not do any work this weekend, and that's exactly what happened. With some mountaineering buddies, trooped off to very far away Bulacan to hang out at Elmer's Kubo. Elmer's family runs a landscaping concern and this spot in Bulacan is where they have their nursery of impressive palm trees and koi fish. Would you believe that koi cost 70,000 a fish? I think it's crazy.

Elmer's Kubo isn't really a Kubo in that there's a dining hall area and a kitchen extension. It's more of a chill out house. We arrived Saturday night and watched Keeana Reeves win the finale of Pinoy Big Brother, after which it was pigging-out. Ruffles, Doritos and Onion Dip, pancit malabon, lechon manok, dark chocolate, asti, beer and red wine. Come to think of it, I think it's pretty amazing that I didn't get a stomach ache. I think it was coz I was mentally prepared for this one. Chatted til 5:30 in the morning. Running joke of the evening was that if you want a girl to fall madly in love with you, forget about giving flowers or chocolates. You should volunteer to clean her refrigerator. Spoken by a friend based on real-life experience.

After breakfast (at 930, yeah we woke up then), it was just more hanging around reading magazines till the trip home. The original plan was for some of us to go biking the morning to Subic from Bulacan (yeah right, diba). We passed by Razon's on McArthur Highway and they really have very soft and tasty puto (though im not into the butter brand topping), and a super yummy halo-halo which they're famous for.

Image hosting by Photobucket

The 45 peso concoction contains only a few ingredients but I think that that is the secret to its tastiness (ice, lecheflan, evaporated milk, macapuno, and a little banana). The whole thing is positive drowned in evaporated milk, I suspect, so that's why its so tasty. And it's just 45 bucks! If one goes to Bulacan you got to pass by here and get your halo-halo. It was particularly great coz the afternoon was so hot.

It was baboy weekend. I was allowed though, 'coz 1) it was yummy and fun and I deserved it, and 2) I'm practically gonna swim everyday this week! That's part of the reason exercising is fun. . .

3 comments:

mossgreentrunks said...

hi fabian. you are sexy! been reading your blog. anyway, wanna inform you that razon's halo halo is also available at robinson's place ermita.

fabian said...

thanks for the heads up! though i rarely find myself at that part of town. ;)

mossgreentrunks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.