Saturday, May 07, 2005

Bangkok - Day 20

my routine here is to work out and read, and so far it's turned out pretty well. i've been enjoying some yoga sessions and also completed Chabon's Kavalier & Clay book, that I've been wanting to finish for ages. I think I will look back at this summer as one that is idyllic, at least on the surface. Once one approaches a certain age, a sense of idyll is forever lost, that is, if you want to remain human. I think my seventeenth summer was the last real one. i have a pile of books to read and i'll have to take them home. my suitcase is gonna be bulging.

so today we went to world trade center to do a little book shopping, which is a good thing, since I've been making it a project to get mom to buy me Ishiguro's latest offering (success, he he). Also managed to get Kel the Marketing and Music book that he wanted. Wow, Kel is wanting to buy books now. *Change* We went to Asia Books and Kinokuniya.

I had a sweet Lassi yoghurt drink before heading home. do you know how much sugar they put into those things? damn. never realized THAT much no wonder it's so goood.

funny coincidence today. the cab we took home from central world plaza was the EXACT same driver who took me home at 2 in the morning from Silom last week. he knew me, and i thought it was funny. he insisted for 5 minutes though that we don't use the meter to which i kept on saying: if u dont put on the meter, we're getting down. i was damn firm. ha ha. anyway, he relented. this driver was so frigging un-Thai (ok, am i gonna start Thai bashing again? I'm not! Anyway, I've met so many nice Thai people lately). Why was he so un-Thai? Coz he was so chummy and 'familiar'. I realize that I hate people who try to be familiar with me when I'm not in the mood. Ok, I don't like scammers to be chummy. He didn't have to tap me on the side before I got down the cab. Yo. MY PERSONAL SPACE brotha. "See you next week." Is what I said in my most ironic tone. It didn't translate of course.

i have about 10 days left here. Gica is homesick for Manila already. Means that I better finish my shopping soon. I'm already making a neat pile of things that I'm gonna have to bring home. I'm gonna be bringing home some sharp STEAK KNIVES to carve up our meat well.

Mahar, we got ur into the woods DVD ;)

5 comments:

HELIOSPHILE said...

fabian-on the chumminess (is that a word?) and your ivory tower question before: I was forced to the point where I had to confess my old problems to my tutors to make a plea to dean for essays extension. I don't know how much you know-it's a whole movie that happened so far. Am good now. I know they are all nice and they would understand-it's just even those ivory tower halls sometimes you feel you cannot function or learn well enough to have things to look up to if those you put on pedestals start coming down on your level. It feels so awkward and embarassing. Aaargh. But the ivory tower is good-I hope to live around the area and my patience runs out, perhaps only when I am in phD stage I can afford to live right there next to the school and be proper academic noh? I can't wait til you come over again and in the meantime, am damn jealous you are in bangkok. Maybe see you in manila christmas if you don't come here earlier. Are you enjoying the thai food? now's your opportunity to brush up thai cooking skills.

HELIOSPHILE said...

8:20 AM? I just logged in where did that time come from? It's nearly half four in the afternoon, I'm not that bad logging in constantly so early in morning although I have come to appreciate early mornings now as you say. It's almost half four in the afternoon and I need to hurry to the market quick before it closes.

ebtg said...

Ano ba. What's my pasalubong? :p

fabian said...

rhinitis: your pasalubong? hmm. i'll get you instant tom yam or durian chips. ha ha ha. ikaw ano ba gusto mo?!?

wonderspeller said...

i want pasalubong na rin hahahaha